Following the 2023 Toronto Maple Leafs baseball season.


Saturday, June 22, 2013

Game 21: Postponed - Maple Leafs @ Guelph, June 22




Today's game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Guelph Royals at Hastings Stadium was rained out.

There had been scattered rain off and on throughout the day.  As soon as I arrived at the ballpark, the skies unleashed ten minutes of steady downpour.  Even though tarps covered the pitchers' mound and home plate circle, large puddles formed on the basepaths and the field was in no condition to play.

Here's a mini restaurant review instead.

As players and fans dispersed from the parking lot, I decided to hit one of the fantastic local pubs.  When in Guelph...

My first impulse was to check out Baker Street Station.  But their menu looks really hoity-toity.  Even their basic burger seems above the norm.  I wasn't sure how well I'd be received in ballcap and sneakers.  Would they mistake me for a delivery boy and hastily usher me out the back door?

Not wanting to chance any social humiliation, I went instead to the Woolwich Arrow pub.  The staff were welcoming, the vibe was relaxed, no one stared.  And they had Wellington County Ale!  I ordered the Smokey Burger, which comes with smoked bacon, smoked cheddar and BBQ sauce.  The beef patty was an inch thick, and you get a decent amount of bacon, not just one thin strip draped over the meat.  Dalashous.  Classy setting, friendly servers, great place.  Guelph never disappoints.

The Maple Leafs' next game is at Christie Pits against the London Majors on June 23.













1 comment:

  1. When life gives you lemons...make a restaurant review! Thanks for salvaging something useful from a rain-out. I'm definitely going to check out this place when I'm in Guelph. Maybe before/after the Tiger-Cats game on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete